Saturday 2 May 2009

T H R O B B I N G G R I S T L E

I was introduced to Throbbing Gristle when I was just 13. By my best friend's Mother. She drew the curtains and dimmed the lights, as she dropped D.O.A The Third and Final Report, onto the record player. My friend came and sat on the bed with me, and her Mother disappeared into another room for some time. The sound began oozing out of the speakers, a motorik roar, and an ominous subsonic kick drum vibrated the furnishings. She had started the record on "Hamburger Lady", the vivid and somewhat disturbing tale of a burns victim. Genesis P Orridge's delay soaked vocals filtered around the room, massing into a terrifying wall of sound. I was fascinated. However, it was about 6 months later that my interest for them grew. Their music was like another world to me, a world that I could only listen to during the day because of how sinister some of their music was.
At huge contrast to the walls of industrial noise they created, their minimal electro-pop songs such as "United", "Hot on the Heels of Love" and "AB/7A", show the versatility of their music.
They broke ground, blended art with music, and sparked one of the biggest controversial reactions from the public in music history. And there probably won't be a time in my life, when the swoop of the Gristleizer, the screams of Genesis and Sleazy and Chris's distorted electronics will be missing.

Photobucket
DISCIPLINE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ

No comments:

Post a Comment